Our first Child Care centre in Hong Kong is located in customised premises in Happy Valley
The small, cozy premises are intended to excite the imagination of the children attending, and provide a stimulating learning environment. With a small capacity of only 12 children at any point in time with a teacher:student ratio of 1:3, and all the resources, equipment and learning aids imported from the UK, the centre is designed to provide individualised attention and care to each child. The picture above is our room for infants in Dubai. The Happy Valley centre will be similar, but not exactly the same.
The school also has a small out door wet area for sand and water play and gardening.
Discover our programs, view our brochure or contact us for more information.
High quality care is the core of Safari Kid's offering across all our centres. We go to extraordinary lengths to ensure that children are brought up in a safe, secure, warm and stimulating environment.
- Health and Safety Our learning environments are specially designed to ensure the health and safety of children are not compromised. We use non-toxic materials and paint for all our resources and surfaces, ergonomically designed furniture and equipment to minimise accidents, and air purification systems to ensure clean air circulation. In addition, all our staff are first aid qualified and we are fully equipped with a medical kit should anything go wrong.
- Staff Ratios We operate with best in class ratios across all our programs. For infants (under 2 years of age), our staff / student ratios are 1:3. This ensures that each child is given individualised attention.
- Quality resources Almost all of our resources and learning aids, including the furniture are specially curated from the best suppliers in the world, typically from the UK. This ensures that children in our care are exposed to the most effective, ergonomic and high quality equipment anywhere.
- Training Our staff undergo 120 hours of training (in addition to their previous experience) before taking care of the children. In addition, training is ongoing, every week of the year. This ensures that the children receive the best teaching and care possible at all times.
Every child is unique and has a different learning curve. We customize our programs to fit their individual needs.
- Our curriculum incorporates best practices from the Reggio, Montessori and Waldorf Steiner methods, in combination with our own proprietary program inspired by Dr. Howard Gardner's theories of multiple intelligences. Our teachers are trained to use the learning methodologies best suited for each individual child to ensure development across our twelve development areas from a very early stage.
- Feeding times, nap times, play time and learning time in our programs for infants and toddlers are structured around the needs and habits of the individual. This ensures a seamless transition from school to home.
- We work with each family to ensure that the areas of development that the family wishes to focus on are given priority in the child's individualised learning plan; and we work with you on placements to full schools (international and local), advising on school placements, helping with applications and preparing your child for assessments, interviews and the transition.
Our unique Early Years Program has been developed and perfected in Silicon Valley over the past ten years
In order to achieve the developmental goals for each child we have devised a unique method that fuses the learning from several leading international methods of early childhood education with our own proprietary program inspired by Dr. Howard Gardner's theories of multiple intelligences.
- Our accelerated learning program, developed over ten years in Silicon Valley, focuses on four fundamental development areas (cognition, language and communication, physical development, creativity and imagination and personal social and emotional development), which further inform eight specific development areas including reading, writing, math, logic, public speaking and art. Each development area has it's own levelled curriculum and children move from one level to the next as soon as they're able to.
- Our emergent curriculum takes best practices from Reggio-Emilia, Waldorf (Steiner), Montessori and Eastern teaching methods to inform our four learning pathways - interactive learning, creating and thinking critically, playing and exploring and repetition and reinforcement. Children learn through the pathway that most interests them and suits their personality, to ensure a lifelong love for learning.
- Safari Kid customizes the program to the learning capacity of each child. Customization of learning is achieved not only through our high teacher to student ratio, but is embedded in the program through the structure of our programs and our teaching methodologies. In essence, children learn in stages and advance only once they’ve mastered the previous stage, with each stage of learning serving as a base for the next.
Our program focuses on all relevant development areas for the child from the age of six month onwards.
The three pillars of our program ensure that we meet all of our developmental goals in a fun, caring, nurturing environment, and at a pace that every child is individually comfortable with. Our experience has shown us that academically children attending Safari Kid tend to be at least one grade ahead of their peers in primary school. Our students stand out as natural leaders in a group and are able to communicate effectively with peers and elders. Safari Kids are more creative problem solvers who demonstrate more imagination and creativity than their peers.
Effective and consistent communication with parents is a cornerstone of our offering worldwide. Communication is ongoing, and geared towards meeting our parents' needs at all points in time.
- The Safari Kid Parents App ensures that the school is at your fingertips, all the time. Communication with the teacher, the school, photos, assessment forms, records and events are all synced to your smartphone and available on the Safari Kid Parents App.Any notification from the school will pop up as an alert on your phone. Of course, we will use the communication channel most comfortable for you (just let us know!).
- Daily emails and updates in the first week of your child's time at Safari Kid, with the frequency dropping to once a week for a personalised update.
- Objective setting upon enrolment and then on a consistent basis - we want you to know (and to tell us) the developmental goals for your child!
- School placement help as they get older - we will work with you on school applications, school selection and preparing for assessments and interviews. We also regularly host seminars on school placements at our locations.
- Feeds, naps, potty training and other aspects of bringing up the really young ones are worked on hand in hand with you.
Karen NorrisVice Principal
Karen NorrisVice Principal
Ms Karen has been teaching for more than 25 years. She has a wealth of experience working with children from 2 to 8 years old. Karen particularly enjoys developing self confidence and skills for independent learning. She has worked in international schools for almost 20 years both as a teacher and administrator and has lived and worked in South Korea, Indonesia and Denmark. Originally from England she enjoys traveling around the globe with her husband who is also an international school administrator. Karen spends her free time playing the melodeon and performing in an English Folk dancing group in the UK, when home on her regular visits and here in Hong Kong too.
Liam HailstoneCommunications and Marketing
Liam HailstoneCommunications and Marketing
Originally from England, Liam does our communications and marketing here at Safari Kid. Since moving to Hong Kong 4 years ago, he became increasingly involved in education and gained experience as a kindergarten teacher. Drawing on a scientific background in the pharmaceutical industry, Liam applied a variety of scientific methodologies to his teaching approach with great success and continues to push the boundaries of what is possible. In his spare time, he can be found hiking through the country parks or training in one of Hong Kong\'s many gyms.
Hannah KwongAdministrative Executive
Hannah KwongAdministrative Executive
Hannah Kwong started her career in education and worked for over 8 years as an administrative executive, first in a learning centre and then in a kindergarten. She left the education field for four years to work as a marketing officer in a modeling and artist representation agency. She joined us in October as her passion lies in education and she is excited to be working with parents and children. In her free time she enjoys traveling, watching movies and drawing.
Fiona has over 10 years of experience in Early Childhood Education in the U.S. and in Hong Kong. Before joining Safari she worked in reputable International and IB schools where she gained most of her teaching and managing experience. Her educational background includes a Bachelor of Science majoring in food science and human nutrition at Washington State University. In addition, she has a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Early Childhood Education) as well as a Master\'s degree in Education (Early Childhood Education) from Hong Kong University.
Recruitment and Training
High quality early care and education supports children’s school readiness and continues to support their performance in school. Teacher professional preparation is a crucial component of high quality care. We recruit from a global pool of talented teachers with specialized training in early childhood education. Based on research linking teacher qualifications, program quality, and positive child outcomes, we at Safari Kid hire the best teachers in the industry, with an emphasis on phonics and pronunciation. Our second and third language teachers are usually native speakers.
All teachers undergo at least 120 hours of training before they teach a class, and training is ongoing throughout the year. At Safari Kid, we also help our teachers achieve further professional accreditation should they choose to, and place significant emphasis on our staff's professional development. This reflects back directly on the quality of the teaching and the passion and energy that our teachers bring to the schools.